Tuesday, September 17, 2013

WWII USS Iowa (BB-61) Navy and Marine Uniform Pair

Last year I was fortunate to pick up a navy uniform belonging to a sailor EM3c who was on the USS Indiana and USS Iowa during WWII. Although it was out of the scope of my Iwo Jima collection, I thought is was great to have a jumper from a WWII ship that has recently been berthed in Southern California. The jumper also came with a few photos of the sailor and was quite happy when I received it in the mail. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to pick up an alpha forest green service coat belong to a Marine guard PFC who was also on the Iowa during the entire duration of the war. Incredible enough both this sailor and Marine served at the same time for a six month period. Locating WWII Marine battleships detachment coats are not easy, but also finding a sailor who also served aboard the same ship is incredible. The Marine served aboard the Iowa during her entire WWII career, his Asiatic ribbon bar perhaps might mirror the Iowa's nine battle stars she earned in the war. I don't need to tell you these two uniforms send off a great vibe when displayed together. The stories this Sailor and Marine could tell! Requests for both records have been sent and will update this post when I get more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment