Friday, October 10, 2014

WWII Navy Warrant Officer Pay Clerk USS Kaweah (AO-15) Officer Dress Whites

From the Archives: I picked up this officer dress White uniform at the Great Western Gunshow back in the 1990's for my The Sandpebbles impression I did at the time. I had this uniform in storage for a few years and didn't even know if was named or not. I managed to locate it this week and incredibly it had a name stamped and written in the coat. Although it was a common name the letter combination wasn't and I was able to ID the coat to a Warrant Officer who lived locally here at San Pedro, CA. He was a long time sailor enlisting in 1921 through 1946, and was finally made a Warrant Officer in his last year of service. Most all of his WWII career was aboard the USS Kawesh (A0-15) an Oiler that served ships on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Sadly he died in 1956, only 10 years after being released from service, although his wife lived to 102 years old and passed away in 2007! It was great to finally locate and ID this coat it being the only Warrant Officer coat in my collection and an awesome tribute to a long serving sailor!

No comments:

Post a Comment